President Tebas: La Liga Aiming For June 12 Restart

"I'd like to restart on June 12 but we have to be prudent and it's not just up to football, it's also up to society, we all need to focus on complying with measures to protect health,"

0
La Liga president Javier Tebas has said that he hopes Spanish soccer will resume on June 12 after being halted for over three months due to the coronavirus.
La Liga president Tebas expects restart on June12. Picture Courtesy Of Sky Sports

La Liga president Javier Tebas has said that he hopes Spanish soccer will resume on June 12 after being halted for over three months due to the coronavirus.

All clubs in Spain’s top two divisions began testing players for the virus last week and many including La Liga champions Barcelona started individual training, with the second step of the league’s four-phase protocol for returning to action.

Real Madrid resumes individual training on Monday.

HAVE YOU READ!!?? Olympic Champion Van Der Breggen To Retire After Tokyo Games

“I’d like to restart on June 12 but we have to be prudent and it’s not just up to football, it’s also up to society, we all need to focus on complying with measures to protect health,” Tebas told Spanish television network Moviestar on Sunday.

Tebas confirmed all matches will take place without spectators, as will be the case when Germany’s Bundesliga restart next week, and he said that the league was working on ways to add to the atmosphere although he didn’t give details.

Javier Tebas also said the fixtures would be spread out so that there are matches every day.

“Now that we are not going to have fans in the stadium we are going to have some innovative ideas for broadcasting the games,” Tebas added

HAVE YOU READ!!?? Third Brighton Player Tests Positive For Coronavirus

“There’s going to be football every day once La Liga returns.”

The league reported on Sunday that five players across two divisions had tested positive for the coronavirus and had been ordered to stay isolated at their homes and they will not be returning to the field until testing negative.

President Tebas also added that three staff members had also tested positive for the coronavirus but he said the number of cases was far lower than expected, insisting there would be no increase in the risk of players getting infected once marches started.

“We were expecting around 25 or 30 based on the numbers in the Bundesliga and how much the virus has penetrated Spain. Out of 2 500 people tested we have only eight positive cases, which is good news,” Javier Tebas added.

“Infection during a match is practically impossible as we have done a study which we’re releasing which will show there is minimum risk in matches if we all respect the health measures.”

Share this article with friends
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments