The Premier League will vote on the implementation of contact training, at a shareholders’ meeting on Wednesday, May 27.
The meeting will discuss proposals from players and managers and a decision will be made regarding the next step for training.
If the Premier League decides to begin contact training, they have the green light from the government to do so. However, a few Premier League players have come forward and said that they will not continue the season. Chelsea midfielder, N’Golo Kante, and Watford captain Troy Deeney and defender Christian Kabasele have said they will not return to playing if the Premier League resumes matches.
Two new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed from the second round of testing. There are now eight confirmed cases out of 1744 tests conducted, according to Sky Sports. Furthermore, Bournemouth confirmed one of their players tested positive in the second round of tests.
The club released a statement regarding the matter stating that the player would self-isolate for 14 days before being retested.
“Medical confidentiality means the player’s name will not be disclosed, and the club asks for this to be respected,” the statement added.
In addition, in the Championship, two Hull City players have tested positive and will now self-isolate for 14 days. On Thursday and Friday last week, the 24 Championship clubs underwent testing for COVID-19. This was in preparation for the second tier to resume training today.
The English Football League discussed the tests conducted in a statement. The league has confirmed that 1014 players and club staff were tested.
“The EFL will continue to make regular and relevant announcements as appropriate in respect of the testing programme to support competition integrity and transparency.”